The land now occupied by the City of Watervliet is part of a tract purchased by the first Patroon, Kiliaen van Rensselaer in 1630 from the Mohican or River Indians. The tract was within a large area on the west side of the Hudson River named Wely's Dael, in honor of the Patroon's wife Anna van Wely. Arendt van Curler, a tenant of the Patroon, began to cultivate the land in 1643. The farm area was later sold by Richard van Rensselaer to Philip Pieterse Schuyler and Bastiaen de Winter.
Prominent features of early Watervliet were the Steen Hoeck or Stone Point nearby on the bank of the Hudson, a beginning point for early land surveys, river ferries from 1710 and on 14th, 15th and 16th Streets which carried Revolutionary War Soldiers on their way to the battle of Saratoga, the Watervliet Arsenal established in 1813, the Erie Canal running the length of the City completed in 1825, and a foundry nearby to the north established in 1808 by Julius Hanks and later operated by Andrew Meneely for the manufacture of bells.
The City of Watervliet embracing the earlier settlements of Port Schuyler, Washington, Gibbonsville and West Troy was incorporated May 26, 1896.
Compiled and Researched by
M. E. Gilchrist and