ca. 1821 - 1885William B. Scott, Sr., a free Black, migrated to East Tennessee in 1847 after increased racial tension in North Carolina. He made harnesses and saddles in Blount County's Quaker community of Friendsville until the Civil War. In Knoxville, during the War, Scott learned the trade of printing. Later moving to Nashville, in April 1865 he founded The Colored Tennessean, the first newspaper for African Americans in Tennessee. In 867, he moved his press to Maryville.
|Marker Number||1 E 109|
|Placed By||Tennessee Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 26th, 2014 at 1:17am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 231369 N 3960557|
|Decimal Degrees||35.75240000, -83.97086667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 35° 45.144', W 83° 58.252'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||35° 45' 8.64" N, 83° 58' 15.12" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 201 W Lamar Alexander Pkwy, Maryville TN 37801, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.