This monument was erected by the State of Louisiana and the United States to commemorate the memorable victory won here by General Andrew Jackson and the men under his command in the Battle of New Orleans, January 8, 1815. The cornerstone was laid on January 8, 1840. Construction of the monument began in 1855 and was carried to a height of 55 feet with funds provided by the State of Louisiana. In 1908 the monument was completed with funds provided by Congress.
In 1894 the state placed the monument and grounds under the custody of the United States Daughters of 1776-1812, thus had continuous custody of the monument and grounds for 35 years, encompassing periods of both state and federal ownership, the state having ceded title to the United States in 1907.
In 1939 the monument and grounds were transferred to the Department of the Interior, and on August 10, 1939, Chalmette National Historical Park was established.
This monument honoring the American victory at Chalmette was proposed by Andrew Jackson in 1840. Work began on a 200 foot obelisk in 1856, but soon halted due to lack of money. Construction began again in 1894 when Louisiana Legislature gave control of the monument to the United States Daughters of 1776 and 1812.
A reduced height was necessary for stability, and the 100 foot, 2½ inch monument was completed by the Daughters in 1908 with financial help from the Federal Government.