The Sweet Water Spring was discovered in the late 1880s when the Patterson Lumber Company, blasting to create a logging road over South Mountain, ruptured an underground vein that produced an abundance of free-flowing water. Work crews enjoyed the sweet, clear water and eventually so did Salamancans, who carried it home in jugs. Years later, the spring became a popular picnicking spot.At one side of the fountain, the spring water was piped to a faucet attached to the stone wall. Stone steps were constructed to either side of the structure to provide access to the small platform at the top of the waterfall. The area above the fountain is cleared and flat so they would climb up there to picnic. There was a nice view from there since the land drops away on the other side of the road.In 1926 during the construction of a scenic highway, the spring surfaced further down the hill. Its channel was reopened and the water rerouted to an area carved form the steep bank. On June 9, 1927, the Allegany Park Commission authorized the construction of a well curb and fountain at that location. Three months later Senator Albert T. Fancher, chair of the commission dedicated the Sweet Water Spring to the residents of Salamance and to all the people who would come and enjoy it. Work on the project was completed by January 1929.Legend has it that the Sweet Water Spring gets its name from a Buffalo druggist who was in the area searching for gold with Mr. Kysorm then owner of the land. Evidently when the druggist tasted the water, he pronounced it "sweet."