This area was settled soon after the Revolution, and a community grew up here on the road from Greenville to Laurens. It was later known as Butler's Crossroads for Willis W. Butler, who acquired a tract including the intersection of the Laurens and Reedy River roads in 1853. This community became a town after the Greenville & Laurens Railroad completed its line here in 1885 and built a frame passenger and freight depot 1/4 mi. N on Jenkins Street in 1886.
The new town was named for Lt. Gov. William L. Mauldin (1845-1912), president of the Greenville & Laurens Railroad 1881-85, state representative and senator, and lt. governor 1886-1890. Mauldin was first chartered in 1890, with its limits a half-mile radius from the depot. The depot was torn down in 1953. Two historic stores of note are the John S. Hill Store (ca. 1906), 1/4 mi. E on Main Street, and Massey's General Store (1931), at Main Street and White Drive.