South across the road lies one of the west's historic "hoof highways" which was used annually from 1885 until 1971. Sheep and cattle were driven to and from the railroad at Magdalena, NM or to Springerville, AZ. The driveway was 5 to 10 miles wide and covered 200 square miles. The peak trailing year, 1919, saw 150,000 sheep and 21,600 cattle pass this point. In the 1930's the Civilian Conservation Corps fenced the driveway and drilled water wells every 10 miles. During the drives, cowboys and herders moved cattle about 10 miiles a day and sheep about 5 miles, allowing them to graze as they went. Chuckwagons and relays of horses followed behind. Trailing gave way to trucking, and the last portion of the driveway was officially closed in November of 1971.