"What is in Greenfield? Well, principally there is the school."A focal point of community pride for generations, McClain High School was the gift of textile manufacturer Edward Lee McClain to his hometown, "as promising the greatest good to the greatest number for the longest time." Designed by nationally prominent school architect William B. Ittner, the school was dedicated in September 1915. Lauded as one of the most complete and state-of-the-art school plants of its time, McClain High School embodied the ideals of the progressive education movement in the early 20th century. A fully equipped gymnasium, motion-picture equipment, and a pipe organ were rare luxuries for any school during this era. Additional gifts by McClain also furnished a vocational training center and an athletic field. Numerous sculptures, paintings, and other works of art displayed throughout the school continue to enhance the atmosphere of Greenfield's acclaimed halls of learning.
|Series||This marker is part of the Ohio: Ohio Historical Society series|
|Placed By||The Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Greenfield Historical Society, and The Ohio Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 4th, 2014 at 5:57am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 294202 N 4358401|
|Decimal Degrees||39.35056667, -83.38833333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 21.034', W 83° 23.3'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 21' 2.04" N, 83° 23' 18.00" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 501-599 Jefferson St, Greenfield OH 45123, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.