At one time an additional bedroom and chimney were on the right side, and the back porch was closed in for cooking and eating. A small log kitchen stood a few feet from the back and was later converted to a smoke house. The milk house beside the well was on stilts to protect butter and milk from animals.
In 1981 the Bullock Historical Society moved the cabin into Union Springs from its original site at Stills Cross Roads in southern Bullock County and restored it as a museum.
Old City Cemetery
(The Confederate Cemetery)
Micajah Norfleet Eley donated land in 1849 for the Baptist Church and an adjoining public cemetery. The oldest cemetery in Union Springs, it served the city for 35 years. The Confederate Monument at the center of the cemetery was unveiled at the intersection of Prairie and Hardaway Streets on March 29, 1895 by the Ladies Memorial Association. In 1973 it was moved to its present location.
Locally known as the Confederate Cemetery, it includes the tombstones of some twenty-two Confederate soldiers. Below the Confederate soldiers' grave site is a marker which reads, "Union Prisoners of War, 1861 - 1865, Victims of Plague."
|Placed By||Bullock County Historical Society and Alabama Historical Association|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Friday, October 17th, 2014 at 10:07am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 620978 N 3557053|
|Decimal Degrees||32.14341667, -85.71725000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 8.605', W 85° 43.035'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 8' 36.30" N, 85° 43' 2.10" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 101-125 H Ave, Union Springs AL 36089, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.