In 1879 the congregation purchased a small wooden store building diagonally across Prairie Street from this site. Remodeled as a church, services were held there until completion of the present church.
The current building was designed by a local high school senior, Richard Kennon Perry, who went on to become a notable architect. Erected on a lot provided by the Foster family, the Gothic-revival building features stained glass windows and dual front entrances appropriate for the interior plans popular in southern churches built between 1880 and 1920. The marble cornerstone indicates the church was completed and dedicated to God in 1909.
The Church had seventeen communicants in 1925; in 1993 there were fewer than eleven. Negotiations with the Diocese led to transfer of ownership of the building to the City of Union Springs, in exchange for two acres of land donated by individuals. The service of Desanctification of a Consecrated Building was performed by the Episcopal Diocese of Alabama on August 28, 2002 when the Diocese removed the lectern and bishop's chair and placed them in other churches.
Under the auspices of the Tourism Council of Bullock County, the building was renamed the Red Door Theater. The first community event held here was a group reading from the script of the play "Conecuh People." The play, presented four times during April 2004, featured the lives of people in Bullock County.
The church building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and, in 1989, was designated as a historic site by the Episcopal Diocese of Alabama.
|Placed By||The Bullock County Historical Society and the Alabama Historical Association|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 12th, 2014 at 7:50am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 621069 N 3557059|
|Decimal Degrees||32.14346667, -85.71628333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 8.608', W 85° 42.977'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 8' 36.48" N, 85° 42' 58.62" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 212 N Prairie St, Union Springs AL 36089, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.