On May 25, 1965, from one of 7,400 producing oil wells in the county's 196 fields, came the Billionth Barrel of Andrews County crude oil.
In the 35 years and 5 months since oil flowed from the county's discovery well, C.E. Ogden No. 1, in Dec. 1929, Andrews has attained a new place in history.
In 1929, the county had about 400 people. Its wealth, mostly in land and livestock, amounted to $8,109,399. Five persons in the county filed income tax returns. There were fewer than 100 children in school. Highway bonds in the amount of $200,000 were about to be issued, as a measure for county improvement.
By 1956, Andrews County produced more than 60,000,000 barrels of oil annually—gaining recognition as number one in Texas and in the United States.
Of great significance is the fact that presently proven reserves underlying the county total more than one billion barrels, without any consideration for additional recoveries by secondary methods.
Andrews is more than a product of the billion barrels of crude of oil it has produced, more than the gasoline plants working through the night, more than modern highways, paved streets, homes, schools, dreams. Its destiny is great in human resources—and oil.