Erected in 1837This historic chapel, a landmark in the Pittsburgh area since 1837, is the third building occupied by the congregation of the Beulah Presbyterian Church, which was organized in 1784. Preceeded by two log buildings, the chapel is built of bricks made on the grounds, and is located on the site once occupied by General Forbes' British Army that drove the French from Fort Duquesne in 1758. Adjoining the chapel is the oldest cemetery in Allegheny County, containing more graves of Revolutionary War soldiers than any other cemetery in the county. Among the distinguished war dead buried here is General John Johnston, Secretary to General Washington throughout the Revolutionary War, and the first clerk of the Beulah session. The oldest known grave is that of James Bonner, a ten year old boy buried here in 1780.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 4th, 2014 at 9:16pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 597668 N 4477999|
|Decimal Degrees||40.44691667, -79.84826667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 26.815', W 79° 50.896'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 26' 48.90" N, 79° 50' 53.76" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||412, 724|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 781-871 Beulah Rd, Pittsburgh PA 15235, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.