King George V (Reigned 1910 - 1936)The K6 was designed by the architect Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, as a result of a commission from the Post Office, to celebrate the Jubilee of King George V in 1935. It arrived on the streets a year later.
The K6 was made of cast iron, and it was painted red throughout. By the end of the 1930's 20,000 K6's had been installed all over Great Britain. The Second World War halted mass production the K6's, although it proved possible to produce and install a further 2000, once the shortage of raw materials had eased. After the war, a faster rate of installation resumed, although, until 1950 it was still less than half of what it had been before the war. Between 1950 and 1955, however, about 25,000 K6's were installed, an even greater rate than before 1939. The pace slowed thereafter, but K6's were still being installed at a rate of about 1000 a year in the mid-1960's.
The central K6 Telephone Kiosk, and the one to its left, were manufactured by the Carron Company, Stirlingshire, Scotland. The K6 Telephone Kiosk to the right, was manufactured by MacFarlane and Co. LTD., Saracen Foundry Glasgow, Scotland.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Friday, September 19th, 2014 at 8:50am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 626331 N 4414539|
|Decimal Degrees||39.87150000, -79.52280000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 52.29', W 79° 31.368'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 52' 17.40" N, 79° 31' 22.08" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 300-398 Kentuck Knob, Ohiopyle PA 15470, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.