The area on which most of the town of Spring Hill is located was originally part of land grants to three Revolutionary War veterans, George Doherty, John Hardin and Ezekiel Polk.Albert Russel of Virginia, another Revolutionary War veteran, constructed the first home on the site in 1808-1809. James Peters built a church here in 1819, and the site became a popular religious revival location in the first half of the nineteenth century. General Richard Ewell bought the first Jersey cows here in 1867, and he is also credited with contributing to the birth of harness racing. Branham and Hughes Military Academy was established in 1897 in the community, and educated thousands of young men before its closing in 1932.
Intersection of Main Street and Depot Street
c. late 1800s
In 1935 the Tennessee Children's Home opened in Spring Hill. In 1938 a disastrous fire destroyed the entire business district on the eastern side of town, and another conflagration in 1940 damaged much of the western business district. A tornado in January 1963 also devastated the community. The town's population had remained steady at approximately 1,200 between 1900 and 1989. The opening of the Saturn Automobile Company in 1989 has resulted in great growth in Spring Hill, which is expected to continue into the 21st century.