Women's Heritage TrailThe Old Barracks is recognized as a National Historic Landmark for its significance as the finest example of colonial barracks in the United States and because of its role in the Battles of Trenton during the Revolutionary War. It is also significant as one of the earliest sites in New Jersey preserved by women. The woman who organized the effort to preserve the Old Barracks was Beulah A. Oliphant, regent and founder of the Captain Jonathan Oliphant Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR). Patriotic organizations like the DAR were founded in the late 19th century to educate new immigrants about U.S. history and to preserve American historic sites. When the southern wing of the Old Barracks was put up for sale in 1899, Beulah Oliphant organized the local DAR to raise funds to purchase the building and preserve its important role in American history. Their efforts were successful, and the building opened as a museum in 1903. The Old Barracks is still operated as a museum and has recognized the important role of women in its preservation through its interpretive exhibits.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Friday, September 5th, 2014 at 1:16pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 519710 N 4452180|
|Decimal Degrees||40.21981667, -74.76835000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 13.189', W 74° 46.101'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 13' 11.34" N, 74° 46' 6.06" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 101-199 Barrack St, Trenton NJ 08608, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.