After Bayard Stockton died in 1928, Robert Wood Johnson, head of Johnson & Johnson, rented Morven. He used it as a comfortable suburban retreat, keeping horses in the stable and adding recreational facilities. In 1939, he had plans drawn up for leveling the grounds and constructing a pool, pool house, and tennis court.
In 1945, Governor Walter E. Edge purchased Morven and, in 1954, deeded it to the State of New Jersey for use as a governor's mansion or museum. Many of the governors had large families, who enjoyed the many recreational amenities Johnson had provided.
The last governor to occupy Morven, Brendan Byrne, was a tennis enthusiast. During his tenure, tennis star Althea Gibson became a virtual resident pro at Morven, and she and Byrne played many friendly games on the Morven court.
Restoration of the pool house, pool, and carriage house is part of phase three of the restoration of the site.