The Ocean Shore Railway was Incorporated in May of 1905 to build a "road" along the coast from San Francisco to Santa Cruz via Half Moon Bay under the leadership of A.D. Bowen, J.D. Harvey, J.A. Folger, P.D. Martin, and others.
A 26 mile section between Tunitas and Scott Creek was never completed and passengers made the connection on Jim Gray's Auto Stage Line in Stanley Steamers.
Ending here at the Laurel Grove Inn, the Swanton Spur, financed by the San Vicinte Lumber Company to transport logs to their mill in Santa Cruz, also carried the loggers to Davenport's Landing seeking entertainment and libations following payday.
Bankruptcy was declared in 1909 as a result of the 1906 earthquake and its financial aftershocks. The railroad was reorganized in 1911 as the Ocean Shore Railroad Company
The dream of a railroad between San Francisco and Santa Cruz was never fulfilled. The last train ran on August 16, 1920.