The original Sixth Street Bridge, constructed at a cost of $72,960, opened on December 7, 1885. The structure consisted of four wrought-iron trusses which spanned the Muskingum River and one swing truss which spanned the Muskingum Improvement Canal. After only twenty-eight years of service, it was washed away on March 26 during the peak of the disastrous 1913 flood. The stone piers and abutments were salvaged and modified to carry six spans (totalling 752 feet in length) that crossed over both the river and canal. The bridge consisted of four 150 feet riveted steel Warren through trusses, a 77 foot steel Bascule lift, and one 75 foot steel girder span. The second bridge, designed by County Engineer Ralph H. Strait, when built at a total cost of $190,000, and opened to traffic on September 16, 1915. This multiple span structure, replaced in the year 2000, was a good example of early 20th century engineering and construction.
(1914 Bridgeplate) James Juchanan, John C. Dulan, Alfred Kelly, Commissioners of Muskingum County. Designed by Ralph H. Strait, County Engineer. J.A. Swingle Contracting Company, contractor for substructure. Childers Construction Company, contractor for superstructure.