Samuel Nye was appointed by President Thomas Jefferson as the first keeper and was provided with a one-bedroom house. Thirty years later the towers had deteriorated so that it was dangerous to ascend them in windy weather. Realizing this condition the Treasury Department appropriated $6,750 for construction of two brick towers in 1841, with a brick keeper's house between them. Collins Howes, who had lost his leg in an accident, was appointed keeper. He complained bitterly that the construction was inferior and that rats infested the cellar. Four years later he was replaced for political reasons, and Simeon Nickerson became keeper, but he died shortly therefore, and his wife Angeline took over. Deciding the he would like his old job back, Collins Howes tried to have Angeline removed but President Taylor ruled in her favor, and she remained as keeper for another ten years.
In 1857 the lights received fourth-order Fresnel lenses, each showing a fixed white light that was fueled by lard.
The most notable keeper was Josiah Hardy, who served from 1872 to 1900. In 1875 Hardy reported serious erosion of the bank in front of the lights, and by 1877 the towers were only 48 feet from the edge. The same year two 44 foot cast iron towers with brick interiors were erected. On December 15, 1879, the old south tower tumbled to the beach below, and 15 months later the north tower followed it. In the 1880's, Keeper Hardy told two boys who were playing by the lights that he had seen as many ships as there are days in the year pass by on that day.
With the advent of rotating lights in the early 20th century, twin lights were no longer necessary. In 1923 the north light was moved to Eastham to replace the last of the three sisters, and the remaining tower was fitted with a rotating lens with a lamp powered by kerosene. In 1939 the light was electrified and its intensity increased from 30,000 to 800,000 candlepower.
In 1969 the Fresnel lens and the lantern room were removed, and replaced by a larger lantern that could accommodate modern rotating aero beacons that have 2.8 million candlepower.
Installed in 1994, the present light display two white lights every 10 seconds that can be seen 24 nautical miles at sea.
The light house complex also serves as headquarters for the Coast Guard Station Chatham, whose responsibility includes the water from Truro south to halfway between Monomoy Island and Nantucket, then west into Nantucket Sound, and north to Hyannis.Station Chatham is notable for the daring rescue of February 18, 1952, when the tanker Pendelton broke in two during a violent snow storm. The crew of CG36500, led by Bernard Webber, braved near impossible conditions to rescue 32 crew members from the stern section.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 28th, 2014 at 6:11am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||19T E 420969 N 4613721|
|Decimal Degrees||41.67133333, -69.94940000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 41° 40.28', W 69° 56.964'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||41° 40' 16.80" N, 69° 56' 57.84" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||508, 774|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 37 Main St, Chatham MA 02633, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.