The Pinckney neighborhood at the bend of the Kansas River began in 1854 as part of the original Lawrence townsite. North/South streets to the west of Massachusetts St. were named for states in the order in which they were admitted to the United States. East/West streets, originally named for Revolutionary war heroes, were changed to numbers in 1913. The modern neighborhood of about 1,200 residents extends to Iowa St.
Homes, businesses, a brickyard, and brewery were located in the Pinckney Neighborhood. Today social and health agencies, including Lawrence Memorial Hospital mix with homes in the area. Three parks, Constant and Burcham Parks along the Kansas River and Cinton Park along 5th St., provide open space. The trail head for a river walk leaves Constant Park and links to Burcham Park to welcome visitors for hiking along the Kansas River.
1858 Pinckney Neighborhood
Pinckney Street renamed 6th Street in 1913.