Roman Catholic ChurchBy the late 1800s, the opportunities offered by Wilmington's expanding economy made it a desirable destination for persons from Italy seeking freedom and prosperity. Settlement accelerated in the early 20th century, and in 1924, the Bishop of Wilmington appointed Father J. Francis Tucker, OSFS to establish a parish for the city's rapidly growing Italian community. There would be no physical boundaries to the parish, so that it could serve all those unified by Italian culture and heritage. Father Tucker and his building committee began fundraising immediately. On Christmas Eve 1924, the parish gathered together for the first timed to celebrate Midnight Mass in a temporary chapel which had been constructed. On January 4, 1925. St Anthony of Padua Roman Catholic Church was formally incorporated, and on March 8, ground was broken for the present place of worship. Many parishioners were highly skilled artisans, and their talents are reflected in his impressive Italianate edifice. One year later, on Palm Sunday, the first Mass was celebrated in the new building. On June 13, 1926, the church was officially dedicated during the Feast of St. Anthony. The bell tower was completed in 1938, and stained glass windows were added in 1940. St Anthony of Padua Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
|Placed By||Delaware Public Archives|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 27th, 2014 at 9:52am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 451460 N 4400431|
|Decimal Degrees||39.75241667, -75.56660000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 45.145', W 75° 33.996'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 45' 8.70" N, 75° 33' 59.76" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 400-498 Rosamond Blvd, Wilmington DE 19805, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.