Regarded as one of the best third basemen to have played in the Negro Leagues, William Julius "Judy" Johnson (1899-1989) grew up nearby on the west side of Delamore Place. During his youth, Johnson played baseball at various sand lots in the city, including one located between 2nd and 3rd Streets and DuPont and Clayton Streets. Johnson was a member of the Hilldale Giants, Homestead Grays, and Pittsburgh Crawfords during his outstanding career (1921-1937). He also served as captain of the 1935 champion Crawfords, a team which included future Hall of Famers Satchel Paige, Oscar Charleston, Josh Gibson, and Cool Papa Bell. Upon retiring as a player at the close of the 1937 season, Johnson served as a spring training coach and scout for several major league baseball teams including the Phillies, Dodgers, and Braves. In 1975, he became the first Delawarean elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame and shortly thereafter, the park located here was renamed in his honor.