In commemoration of the three hundredth anniversary of the founding in 1624 of the first permanent settlement of Albany, then known as Fort Orange, near the site of Fort Nassau built in 1614 and abandoned in 1617. With the establishment of Rensselaerswyck in 1630, Fort Orange became the trading center of the colony and was called the Fuyck. Subsequently the name of the village was changed to Beverwyck, 1652 - Albany, 1664 - Willemstadt, 1673 - Albany, 1674
Erected b y the Albany Tercentenary Committee.Alfred Emanuel Smith, Governor William Stormont Hackett, Mayor - Honorary ChairmenWilliam van Rensselaer Erving, Chairman. Isaac Henry Vrooman, Jr., Secretary. Harriet Langdon Pruyn Rice, Vice Chairman. Gerrit Yates Lansing, Treasurer.