Boarders and guests of the Cedar Ravine House that once stood two doors up the street purchased groceries and provisions here from 1853 to 1856. Proprietor N.C. Fassett sold a variety of goods from beans to brandy, candy to coffee, lard to lead, molasses to matches, and quince jelly to quicksilver. William Burns and Robert B. McBride who bought the Cedar Ravine stables on the south side of the street in 1860 continued operation of a grocery and provisions store here. The building also served as the residence of Burns and his wife, Sarah. After Burns and McBride moved their store to the plaza, Sarah Burns specialized in the sale of fine cigars from this location.
In the early days of Old Hangtown, when Cedar Ravine Creek ran across Main Street from the south, the road in front of the store became a mud hole. Along with the rain and flooding creek the miners habit of mining in four by four holes in the street also contributed to the unpleasant conditions.
Later this building became the home of blacksmith, J. Wonderly and his family. Wonderly operated a stable and blacksmith shop on the south of Main Street near the Bell Tower.