The oldest building in Mariposa, and the only 3 story adobe building still in use in the state of California.Two year restoration by owner
Erected in 1850 by Col. John C. Fremont and wife Jessie for Palmer Cook & Co., lease holders for the Mariposa Mine and Fremont's agents. The original adobe was damaged by a major fire in 1866. The exterior walls on the south, east and north side were damaged but not destroyed. The owner, Louis Felbuch, rebuilt the damaged portions with fire proof brick. The three story adobe section in the rear held living quarters and storage. The building has also been used as Stahl Bros. Coffee Saloon and Bakery, Felbush Watch Maker, John Higman Dry Goods, Gordon's Hotel and Mariposa Restaurant, Ingersol Rand Mining Machinery and Assay, and the Gold Coin Club and Restaurant.
Cornelious E. Vejer painted the large murals in the interior around 1900 for the Gordon Hotel.
completed in 2011