In 1862, to meet the pressing need of the Confederate States Army for revolvers of the Colt pattern, the Griswold Cotton Gin Company's plant, on this site, was converted to a pistol factory. In March, the production of cotton gin machinery was discontinued and the task of retooling was begun. In July, Griswold and Grier produced their first revolving pistols.
On Aug. 5th, the Macon TELEGRAPH announced that the "Colt's Navy Repeater" made at the machine shops of Messers. Griswold at Griswoldville, had passed the Inspection of the Confederate Superintendent of Armories at Macon, and that a contract had been let for as many as could be produced. The peak output became five finished revolvers per day; the total produced was about 3,500.
The Griswold and Grier revolver is known to collectors as the "brass-frame Confederate Colt". It is the most common of all Confederate manufactured revolvers. It is a six-shot, .36 caliber weapon, with a 7 ½ inch barrel and rifled six grooves right. It cost about $50.00 to manufacture.
On Nov. 20, 1864, during General Sherman's destructive March to the Sea, the Griswold and Grier factory was burned by the 3rd Cavalry Division [US], Brig. Gen. J. L. Kilpatrick, USA, together with a valuable soap and candle factory, a train of cars loaded with locomotive parts, and other local facilities.