In October 1777, The Virginia legislature drafted a bill to create a new county out of Augusta and Botetourt. The new county was named Rockbridge, for the natural stone bridge located within its boundaries. The same act gave details to establish the county seat to be called Lexington.
On January 12, 1778 the act became law which specified the name, exact size and shape of the town. James McDowell surveyed the original town, thirteen hundred feet long by nine hundred feet wide, with six streets. There were thirty-six one-half acre corner lots with two lots designated for the Court House and Jail.
Here lies Lot One, Lexington, Virginia.