This typical Federal-style town house, with a later stone addition, was the home of Thomas Jonathan Jackson and his wife, Mary Anna. They lived here with five of their six slaves before the Civil War.
After her husband's death in 1863, Mrs. Jackson kept the house as a rental property until 1906. She sold it to the United Daughters of the Confederacy for use as a community hospital. The house served as Stonewall Jackson Memorial Hospital for nearly fifty years and underwent many changes before becoming a museum.
The Jackson house was restored in 1979 to look as it did when the Jacksons lived here, and underwent additional renovations in 2004. The house is owned and operated for educational purposes by the Stonewall Jackson Foundation and is open daily for tours.
"It was genuine happiness to him to have a home of his own: it as the first one he had ever possessed, and it was truly his castle."
Mary Anna Jackson, Memoirs of "Stonewall" Jackson by his Widow, p. 106