StoningtonThis coastline of Pequot Indian country was first mapped by Adriaen Block from Holland in 1614. The first settlers in 1649 were William and Anna Chesebrough at Wequetequock Cove. The next year Thomas Stanton built a trading post on the Pawcatuck River. Two years later came Walter Palmer, Thomas Miner, and Captain George Denison. John Gallup and Robert Park settled in the Mystic area soon afterwards. In 1658 Massachusetts claimed the town, naming it Southerton. Governor John Winthrop, Jr. obtained the Connecticut Charter from England in 1662, which set the boundaries of the town. It was renamed Mystic in 1665 and Stonington in 1666. Men of Stonington repulsed a British naval attack on the town, both in 1775 and in 1814. The old trades of shipbuilding, whaling, sealing, and the railroad-steamboat terminal have been replaced by light manufacturing and commercial fishing. Today, Stonington's past maritime glory is reflected in the relics of her Mystic Seaport and Old Lighthouse Museum.
Erected by the Town of Stonington
the Stonington Historical Society
and the Connecticut Historical Commission