The historic Cashtown Inn has been offering lodging and dining to weary travelers since the turn of the 19th Century.
Roads were important to town development, just as the automobile was important to their prosperity. As roads brought travelers into the countryside, they needed places to stay and eat. Inns attracted businesses that served the traveling public, which, in turn, spurred the development of towns. After the birth of the automobile, more people than ever traveled for recreation.
In 1812, the construction of a turnpike's northwest extension spurred Peter Marks to build his brick tavern here. By 1821 Cashtown had been established, which allegedly received its name because Marks insisted on cash payments.
During the Civil War, Confederates passed by the Inn twice - in mid-October 1862 and during the Battle of Gettysburg in 1863. On July 5 a Confederate wagon train carrying the wounded men left Cashtown; the train was about 17 miles in length.