Cayucos LandingBorn in Bristol, England, Nov. 24 1824, James Cass came to N.Y.C. at the age of 12, then to California during the Gold Rush. His mining, mercantile, and farming led him to travel throughout the state. In 1867, he saw the potential of a shipping port at Cayucos Creek. In 1869, Cass convinced Capt. J.N. Ingalls and his partner, Frederick Metcalf, to start a small shipping business, stacking goods on the beach, which led to building a wharf in 1872. The wharf, the first structure in the township, required Cass to invent a new method of driving piles which he patented. In 1875, William Babcock subdivided the town of Cayucos. Cass bought the tideland lots, extended the pier 940' to deep water, and built (1877) a warehouse. After Cass died, March 15, 1917, his family donated the warehouse & pier to the State. The warehouse was move to a new location where it is a vital part of Cayucos.
|Series||This marker is part of the E Clampus Vitus series|
|Placed By||E Clampus Vitus, de la Guerra y Pacheco Chapter 1.5|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Friday, October 3rd, 2014 at 5:40pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||10S E 690025 N 3924866|
|Decimal Degrees||35.44913333, -120.90621667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 35° 26.948', W 120° 54.373'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||35° 26' 56.88" N, 120° 54' 22.38" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 190 Ocean Front Ave, Cayucos CA 93430, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.