(Tablet facing East)
First rural free delivery carriers starting out from Climax post office. (From photo taken by Frank Hoogman)
This tablet erected by Michigan Rural Letter Carriers' Association, 1917.
(Tablet facing South)
?????Climax was discovered by Col. John Mullet, a government surveyor, in November, 1825. The name was selected by Daniel B. Eldred, in May, 1831. The first permanent settlers were Judge Caleb Eldred and sons, who located on Section 3, in June, 1831.
?????Nearly 300 farmers, who receive mail on the three rural routes out of Climax, have each contributed one stone from their farms to build this monument.
?????These farmers, and the Climax Mens' Fellowship Club, have erected this tablet in appreciation of James H. Brown, who helped start rural free delivery in Michigan, and who designed and constructed this monument.
?????Dedicated July 26, 1917.
(Tablet facing West)
The first rural free delivery in Michigan started here December 3, 1896. Aided by U.S. Senator Julius C. Burrows. Lewis A. Clark and Willis L. Lawrence first R.F.D. carriers.
This tablet erected by Kalamazoo and Calhoun County Chapters D.A.R. 1917.
(Tablet facing North)
The first Congressional appropriation to try the experiment of delivering mail to farmers' homes was secured through the strenuous efforts of the national and state Granges in 1896. The amount was 40,000.00 dollars.
This tablet erected by Michigan State Grange, 1917.
Monument Construction Committee: Frank L. Willison???William H. Sheldon???Simeon E. Ewing