Built in 1928 and used around the clock until July 17, 1993 the Santa Clara Interlocking Control Tower is one of two Harriman Standard No. 4 towers in California.
The General Railway Signal Co. Model 2 unit, lever type interlocking machine on the upper floor, operated the many switches and signals that controlled railway traffic from the Peninsula line ?from San Francisco' and the Mulford line ?from Oakland.' The out buildings, the tool shed and the speeder shed, were used to store track inspectors car and tools.
After 65 years of continuous service, control of the line was transferred to the computer at San Jose Depot. It was the end of an era.
For the benefit of our community and our heritage, the SBHRS, City of Santa Clara and Mt. Charlie Chapter 1850 of E. Clampus Vitus hereby dedicated this plaque.
"Right Wrongs Nobody"
Separate plaque below:
This plaque was to be dedicated in 1999, but after many delays, this monument was built and dedicated on May 25, 2013.