The ten foot wide flat at the base of the cliff is the site of Wagon Jack Shelter. The name comes from the Shoshone Indian, Wagon Jack, who camped here about 1900, while working on an Eastgate Ranch. He was a leader of Indian rabbit drives in Smith Creek Valley, just to the east.
A brush and pole "house" was built on the flat about 1,500 years ago. The prehistoric remains, which were found here, are typical of most Great Basin people who subsisted on local deer, antelope, mountain sheep, small game, birds, seeds, nuts, and roots. Distinctive "Eastgate Series" projectile points found on this site have been valuable cultural indicators.