On May 24, 1887 Nels Hanson platted the small railroad station point in section 8 of Prairieville township as "Hanson Station". A post office had been established in 1886 named Evan by the first postmaster, Martin Norseth, in honor of Hanson's wife Eva.Erected by the Brown County Historical Society - August, 1987
The first store was opened in "Evan" by Martin Norseth in 1885. Peter Hansen of Sleepy Eye erected a grain elevator the same year. A creamery association was formed in 1895 and a large creamery plant was constructed.
On March 22, 1904 the village was incorporated under the name of Evan. The first officers elected were: H.P. Tharkeldsen, president; Jens Mikaelsen, Lars Lamp and H.L. Hansen, councilmen; J.C. Forster, treasurer and Jens D. Hansen, recorder. The village was to include 640 acres and had a population of 142.
At the time of incorporation businesses in Evan included a bank, two general stores, a hardware store, lumberyard, blacksmith shop, stock dealer, garage, implement dealer, three elevators, a restaurant and the Light and Power Co. It also had a library and two churches.