On this site stood the first Ohio County Courthouse whose cornerstone was laid in 1839 . In the 1890s, the Courthouse was razed and replaced by the Board of Trade Building and Court Theatre. Wheeling architect Edward Batee Franzheim designed the Building, which now has been honored by its inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Board of Trade Building was a state-of-the-art office complex which has been home to many prominent Wheeling businesses and was erected at a cost of $170,000. The Court Theatre was expanded in the 1920s and was considered the premier theater in Wheeling which housed many vaudeville shows and plays. The Court was later converted to a movie theater and was closed in 1982.
Wheeling attorney Robert P. Fitzsimmons purchased the entire building in 1996 with his business associates, Russell Jay Guthrie, and Kay L. Guthrie. The property was fully rehabilitated and renovated under the guidance of attorney Fitzsimmons' father, Robert J. Fitzsimmons, and Kay L. Guthrie, Project Manager.