This home was originally owned in 1901 by Emily V. Semple. It changed hands several times until purchased by Flora K. Daniels and Arlam and Johnnie R. Carr, Sr. The Carrs moved into this residence in 1943. They resided here during the 1955 Montgomery Bus Boycott. Johnnie Carr was an active member of the Montgomery Improvement Association (MIA) under the leadership of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., at that time. In 1964, Johnnie and Arlam Carr, Sr. became the lead plaintiffs on behalf of their son, Arlam Carr, Jr. in the Carr v. Montgomery Board of Education case which resulted in desegregation of Montgomery Public schools. Mrs. Carr was elected the first female and fifth President of MIA providing leadership for more than 35 years. She has been a part of many efforts of that organization to promote racial harmony, provide opportunities for minorities and support community development.