The Gold Rush TrailFounded in 1854 for the ?diffusion of knowledge at the least possible expense to the seeker', the Institute's Library and Chess Room and its literary and social activities are intertwined with the history of San Francisco and California. James Lick and Sam Brannan were among the Institute's early benefactors. Andrew S. Hallidie, inventor of the cable car and president from 1868 to 1877, arranged to hold the first classes for the University of California at the Institute. Early Institute membership attracted engineers, architects, artists, furniture makers, photographers, and inventors, all of whom were proud to be called ?mechanics' in nineteenth-century parlance. The Institute's international exposition form 1857 to 1899 promoted California's economy. From 1882 to 1906, the Mechanic's pavilion at the Civic Center served as the City's auditorium. Since 1866 the Institute has owned the property on which this building stands. Designed by Albert Pissis and completed in 1910, it replaces the Institute's earlier three-story building that was destroyed in the earthquake and fire of 1906. Membership in this center for educational and cultural activities is open to the public.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Wednesday, October 22nd, 2014 at 7:51pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||10S E 552559 N 4182563|
|Decimal Degrees||37.78891667, -122.40306667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 47.335', W 122° 24.184'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 47' 20.10" N, 122° 24' 11.04" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||415, 925, 510, 831, 650,|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 65 Post St, San Francisco CA 94104, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.