The Pea River Electric Membership Corporation was energized on this site on June 8, 1939. This rural electric cooperative was organized under an executive order signed by President F. D. Roosevelt on May 11, 1935.
Rural members of Barbour, Dale and Henry counties gathered on this bridge to witness the beginning of electric service into their rural areas when 301 homes and businesses received power for the first time. The organizing directors were S.K. Adams, J.G. Sanders, Lloyd Smith, J.Y. Johnston, L.A. Pitts, R. W. Ward, and H.J. Thompson. Corporation attorney was P. C. Clayton; manager was A.B. Robertson, Sr. The co-op's name was changed to the Pea River Electric Cooperative on June 10, 1940.