Court SquareIn 1773, Robert Thornton claimed 1400 acres encompassing today's downtown Parkersburg, but sold it ten years later to Captain Alexander Parker, for whom the town was later named. The first permanent settler was Captain James Neal who erected a blockhouse in 1785. By 1800, the village had grown to a number of log cabins, a store and a tavern and was called Newport. In 1810, the town was laid out and from then on was known by its present name. Parkersburg has experienced several boom periods starting first with oil in the early 1860s. Later prosperity came from a thriving timber industry and from being a military center during the Civil War. The scene at the left was Court Square, just a few blocks from here, in the early 1900s.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 14th, 2014 at 8:45am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 451164 N 4346426|
|Decimal Degrees||39.26580000, -81.56610000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 15.948', W 81° 33.966'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 15' 56.88" N, 81° 33' 57.96" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 113 Ann St, Parkersburg WV 26101, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.