This statue, honoring the United States Cavalry and its role in the settlement of the West, is located on what was long known as the Cavalry Parade Ground at Fort Riley.Advisory CommitteeMaj. Gen. Theodore W. Parker · Col. Burt L. Mitchell · Lt. Col. Stewart G. Real · Mr. Lee Rich · Mr. C.W. Lamer · Mr. James E. LangTechnical SupervisionLieutenant Colonel W.W. Bridges, Commanding, 1st Engineer Battalion
It was constructed in three dimensions through the artistry of the sculptor, Specialist Fourth Class Robert L. Greene, and through the technical skill of Private First Class Richard C. Donda, Sergeant Clarence L. Holt, and First Lieutenant Arthur C. Lee, Jr., using as a guide a painting, The Cavalryman, completed in 1898 by Frederick Remington, noted Western artist. The illustration, also known as The Trooper and Old Bill, appeared on the cover of the Cavalry Journal from January, 1903 to August, 1942 and later appeared in Armor magazine.
Conceived as a Fort Riley - Junction City memorial as a part of the Kansas Centennial observance, the statue was dedicated June 14, 1961 in appreciation of those who have served their nation so faithfully and well.