Shortly thereafter, the Taylor Family purchased the Inn and surrounding land making way for the development of the 19th century village of Taylorsville. After expanding the McConkey Ferry Inn, brothers Mahlon and Bernard built homes for themselves: the federal style Mahlon K. Taylor house and the present day Washington Crossing Inn. The surrounding homes were built as tenant houses to comprise a self-sufficient community including homes for a blacksmith, wheelwright, tailor, physician, a general store and post office.
The 1830's brought the expansion of Taylorsville and construction of a wooden covered bridge across the Delaware. Shortly after its completion, the structure was destroyed by a flood and rebuilt a few years later. The existing steel bridge, opened in 1905, is the third bridge to be built at the site of Washington's historic crossing of the Delaware
|Placed By||Washington Crossing Historic Park|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 4th, 2014 at 12:01am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 511014 N 4460439|
|Decimal Degrees||40.29438333, -74.87040000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 17.663', W 74° 52.224'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 17' 39.78" N, 74° 52' 13.44" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1251 General Washington Memorial Blvd, Washington Crossing PA 18977, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.