In this vicinity, on September 8, 1565, having arrived with Pedro Menendez de Aviles And Spanish citizens, Father Francisco Lopez de Mendoza Grajales led the first parish mass in what is now the United States of America. At a makeshift rustic altar, Father Lopez offered mass in honor of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, its feast day on the same day. Following the liturgy, the Spaniards and the Tumucua Indians shared a meal. The Spanish named this site "Nombre de Dios" or "Name of God."
Marker placed by
Florida State Society Daughters of the American Revolution
Donna Griffin Cullen, State Regent