Convent and Motherhouse of the Sisters of Saint Francis - 1928 to 1999In 1901, John Blocher donated 100 acres to the Sisters of Saint Francis on the condition that they build and operate a home for the aged on the property. The Sisters expanded an existing farm house to open the Holy Family Home in 1902. In 1928 they built a new convent and motherhouse - Saint Mary of the Angels. This building was the headquarters for the order until 1999, and was the center of the Sisters' work in caring for the elderly and infirm, and in training members of the order for service in Catholic schools and churches throughout the Buffalo area. The 100 acre parcel was gradually subdivided, making way for residential development, for the new Holy Family Home in 1962, for Saint Francis Home in 1956, and for the new St. Mary of the Angels on Reist Street in 1999. In 1999 the remaining lands became Amherst State Park, and the former Motherhouse has been converted to St. Mary's Commons apartments for seniors. Aerial view of the Motherhouse complex in the 1950's. Photo courtesy of Sisters of Saint Francis, Amherst, NY.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, March 15th, 2015 at 9:01am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 683693 N 4760287|
|Decimal Degrees||42.97308333, -78.74735000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 42° 58.385', W 78° 44.841'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||42° 58' 23.1" N, 78° 44' 50.46" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||585, 716|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 400 Mill St, Williamsville NY 14221, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.