National Register of Historic Places
— Listed by the Keeper of the National Register, April 15, 2009 —Officially beginning on 14 March, 1930, Mary Purnell's reorganization of the Israelite House of David began in a very humble fashion on newly acquired properties along Britain and Eastman Avenues. With four agricultural properties, an unfinished and vacant hotel building in the city and these parcels began a chapter of the Christian-Israelite history that is unparalleled in its building and economic success at the outset of the nation's economic disaster of the Great Depression. By 1937, Mary Purnell had successfully directed the construction for most of the 80-some buildings while adding several hundred acres to her original lots along Eastman Avenue at Britain, which today is the heart of the historic district of Mary's City of David.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, March 21st, 2015 at 5:02pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16T E 547156 N 4661963|
|Decimal Degrees||42.10835000, -86.42963333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 42° 6.501', W 86° 25.778'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||42° 6' 30.06" N, 86° 25' 46.68" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 38-98 Eastman Ave, Benton Harbor MI 49022, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.