Relocated and constructed on this site 1967-1968 by authority of Benton Harbor City Commission, as of June 20, 1968.
This agricultural marketing facility was originally created by the city of Benton Harbor in 1870 at its original location at the city wharf, to provide a marketing outlet for the agricultural products of Michigan's fruit belt.
As the industry grew and prospered the market was moved to the area of the C & O station in 1900, then to Territorial Street in 1925. Later, in 1930, it was moved to Ninth and Market Streets until 1966.
This new facility is dedicated to the fulfillment of the future marketing needs of Michigan grown agricultural products, on this date May 22, 1968.