The first of three churches, variously known as Occoquan Meeting House, Bacon Race Church, and Oak Grove Church, was built on this site c. 1774. Led by Elder David Thomas, it was Prince William County's first Baptist Church. These churches were Old School or Primitive Baptist, and were originally a branch of the Chopawamsic Church of Stafford County. The dates for the second church are unknown but the last church is believed to have been built c. 1836. Foundation stones mark the location of this church which collapsed on Christmas Eve, 1987. The last Pastor was Elder William M. Smoot (1874 - 1938), an articulate and authoritarian leader. He is buried in the cemetery which also contains the remains of Civil War soldiers including members of Mosby's Rangers.