Historic Chickamauga GeorgiaEnslaved Africans created the Gone with the Wind-like society of prewar Georgia. James Gordon came to this area shortly after Cherokee removal. He bought several of the land lottery lots and established a slave plantation. As his wealth grew, he decided to build a magnificent house that would be the most imposing residence in the area. He hired a superintendent to oversee the work and construction was started in 1840. The craftsmen who did the work were enslaved Africans. Except for nails, all the materials used to build the house came from the property. Bricks were made from local clay, limestone was burned to form plaster, and timber was cut in sawmill at Gordon's Mill. The construction proceeded slowly, and all aspects were closely and carefully performed with skill and perfection. The full effort took seven years, and in 1847 the splendid mansion was complete. Flanking the stately two-story brick house there was a brick smokehouse and six two room brick slave houses. Five of the former slaves are buried near the Gordon family in the Chickamauga Cemetery.
|Placed By||Historic Chickamauga|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, April 27th, 2015 at 10:02am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 655851 N 3860124|
|Decimal Degrees||34.87155000, -85.29481667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 34° 52.293', W 85° 17.689'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||34° 52' 17.58" N, 85° 17' 41.34" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 217 Cove Rd, Chickamauga GA 30707, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.