José Amador was given this property by the Spanish Government in 1817. His heirs sold it to P.L. Buquor in 1847. Later that year, James Gray bought the land and built this house, which he sold to French consul Francois Guilbeau in 1853. Another Frenchman, Marie Biencourt, owned the house and occupied it from 1880 until 1932. The house stood vacant for 15 years until it was purchased by local artist Warren Hunter. Hunter completely renovated the two-room adobe structure and leased it to Dr. Victor Alessandro, conductor of the San Antonio Symphony, who made further modern additions. Mr. & Mrs. Walter Henshaw, who owned the house from 1958 to 1970, added a second story to the building and lived there until it was purchased by restaurant operator Frank Phelps in 1970.