— Fort Nelson Park —The Naval Hospital faces a peninsula surrounded by the Elizabeth River. In 1636, Captain Thomas Willoughby received a land grant from the King of England that included this peninsula. The land was used as a plantation and changed owners several times. It has been known by various names: Mosquito Point, after the pesky critters that inhabited the adjoining swamp; Tucker's Mill Point, after the family who operated a windmill on the site; Musket Point and Fort Point, after the revolutionary fort of 1776 to 1824; and now Hospital Point, the site of the ﬁrst U.S. Naval Hospital.
|Placed By||Path of History, Portsmouth, Va|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, May 31st, 2015 at 10:02pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 383648 N 4078049|
|Decimal Degrees||36.84118333, -76.30493333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 36° 50.471', W 76° 18.296'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||36° 50' 28.26" N, 76° 18' 17.76" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 700 Crawford Pkwy, Portsmouth VA 23704, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.