"Civil War 1861-1865"
— Fort Nelson Park —Virginia seceded from the Union on April 17, 1861. On April 2, the Governor ordered the 3rd Virginia Regiment to occupy and fortify the Navy Hospital grounds. A battery of earthen works was hastily erected on the point and renamed Fort Nelson, after the revolutionary fort of 1776 to 1824. During the Confederate occupation, the hospital served as a medical facility and a fort. The Union retook the area on May 10, 1862, and until the end of the war, the hospital cared for Union soldiers and sailors. In 1865, the hospital treated nearly 1,300 patients.
|Placed By||Path of History, Portsmouth, Va|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, May 31st, 2015 at 10:04pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 383587 N 4078053|
|Decimal Degrees||36.84121667, -76.30561667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 36° 50.473', W 76° 18.337'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||36° 50' 28.38" N, 76° 18' 20.22" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 201-301 Effingham St, Portsmouth VA 23704, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.